Engineering Services Division
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety was formerly a unit (Environmental & Sanitation Unit) in Works and Maintenance Department before it became a full-fledged department under the leadership of Prof. Abdul Semi Adewale Musa Olomu on the 21 st of August, 2019. The Department has Two (2) Divisional Heads and Four (4) Heads of Unit. The staff strength of the Department is made up of 36 professionals and 27 support staff.
VISION AND MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
“Environmental Health and Safety department is dedicated towards creating an enabling environment free from risks of infection, hazards and enhancement of physical, social and psychological health being of the hospital community towards achieving quality health care service delivery”.
To protect and enhance the natural serenity of the hospital environment
Provision of environmental health education, intervention and policy
Fostering multidisciplinary team approach for prevention and control of
The activities of the Department include but not limited to the following:
1. Day-to-day operation, monitoring and enforcing legislations and bye-laws relating to public and/or environmental health in the hospital
2. Supervision of the general cleaning and maintenance of the aesthetic value of the hospital environment
3. Management of all medical waste generated in the hospital due to its infectious and hazardous nature which may pose potential risk to hospital community (staff at work,patient and clients) and the environment.
4. Control or eradication of pest and other vermin through fumigation of the interior and exterior buildings (offices, wards and clinics) and other areas in the hospital environment.
5. Education and enlightenment of the hospital community (staff, patients and their relatives) on their roles in the maintenance of a clean hospital environment.
6. Routine inspection of premises which include all offices, wards, clinics and other essential areas like catering services, laundry services, bank premises, food preparation and eating premises, water services etc. as contained in the Public Health
Law and Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette 2016 NO. 27 VOL. 103.
7. Control and regulation of the activities of hawkers and food vendors in the hospital.
8. Training and retraining of all contract staff and food vendors on their roles and expectations in making the environment clean.
9. Liaising and participating with other units, committees and departments in the
prevention and control of communicable diseases and cross infection in the hospital.
10. Identification and prevention of potential hazards capable of putting the health and
safety of all staff and patients at risk.
11. Joint supervision with other technical team of ongoing construction sites and
Environmental Impact Assessment of projects to be sited within the hospital
12. Serve as a link between the hospital and Federal Ministry of Environment, State
Ministry of Environment, Environmental Protection Agencies and other
governmental agencies for disease prevention and control and enforcement of
Environmental / Public Health laws.
PROFILE OF THE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT OF ENVIROMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
Mrs. Adebowale, Sidiqot Oluwatosin (Nee Oluboyede) was born to the family of Alhaji Dr. Issa Atolani and Mrs. Omolola Oluboyede of Alaworoko compound of Iworoko Ekiti, Ekiti State. She attended Omoleye Children’s School, Lagos State for her primary education, Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School, Lagos State and Abeokuta Grammar School, Abeokuta, Ogun State for her Secondary education.
Mrs. Adebowale later proceeded to the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta for her first- degree in Environmental Management and Toxicology in 1999 and was awarded Bachelor of Environmental Management and Toxicology in 2005.
In her quest for professional certification and competence; Mrs. Adebowale obtained a Diploma in Environmental Health from the Environmental Health Officers Registration Council of Nigeria (EHORECON) now Environmental Health Council of Nigeria (EHCON) in 2013. This qualified her to be a registered and licensed Environmental Health Officer in Nigeria since 2013. Mrs. Adebowale
thereafter obtained Master Degree in Environmental Management & Protection from the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta in 2019 and she is currently pursuing her Ph. D in Environmental Management in the same University.
Mrs. Adebowale joined the services of the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta in 2007 as an Environmental Health Officer II in the Department of Community Medicine and Primary Care. She was redeployed to the Department of Works and Services in 2011. Her appointment was confirmed in 2009 and she rose through the ranks to become Chief Environmental Health Officer in 2020. She was instrumental to the establishment of the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at the hospital in 2019. She was appointed the pioneer Head of Department of Environmental Health and Safety in August 2019, a post she held till date.
Mrs. Adebowale received a Commendation Letter (in November 2019) from the HOD, HOU’s and entire staff of Works and Maintenance Department for her efforts, dedication and selfless service while being a staff of the Department. She is Chairperson and Member of many committees in the hospital notably: Chairperson, Environmental Health & Food Hygiene Committee; Member, Environmental Committee; Member, Infection Control Committee; Member, Staff Welfare Committee, Member, Bakery Management Committee; among others.
Mrs. Adebowale is happily married with children.